The Latest from Barb and J.C. Hendee…
Barb and J.C. will be breaking out of their usual hermit status this weekend for several events on the docket!
Waterfront Portland Marriott Hotel.
We will be busy with panels, signings, and a reading. For more information please see: http://37.orycon.org/
Sunday, 11/22, 4pm+
Place: 3415 SW Cedar Hills Blvd
Beaverton, OR 97005
We will be signing books (brought or bought) along with a large number of other SF/Fantasy authors: Alma Alexander, Devon Monk, Barb & J. C. Hendee, Mark Ferrari, Shannon Page, Brent Weeks, Claude Lalumiere, Camille Alexa, Wendy Wagner, David Levine, Mike Moscoe/Shepherd, Jason Hough, Ken Scholes, J. A. Pitts, Patrick Swenson, Leah Cutter, Blaze Ward, Tina Connolly, Dean Wesley Smith, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Annie Bellet, Fonda Lee, Jason Gurley, Kristi Charish, Laura Ann Gilman, Randy Henderson, Django Wexler, and Jennifer Brozek.
You read it, now hear it…
Finally... this week, our beloved narrator for the Noble Dead Saga's audio editions, Tanya Eby, completed the recording for the The Night Voice., the saga’s final volume coming in print and ebook this January 2017. She is the only person besides our editor who has read the book, and we were so happy when she wrote to say, “I loved it.” She has recorded all fourteen of the novels now, and she is almost as invested as we are. The audio book will be released on the same day as the hard cover.
And more to come by the new year.
—Barb & J.C.
Once more I present another excerpt after too long away but with a slight change. Barb and I are starting on another collaborative novel under contract (and later into the year than ever before). Further excerpts from this ongoing solo work might come a little slower. In addition, the first scene herein is a rework of the final scene from the last entry of “New Beginnings”; not my usual way when sharing excerpts with others, but a few extra details came to me that had to be set for later use in this novel.
For those just stepping into this excerpt series, use THIS LINK for a listing of previous entries. And so, without further rambling…
J.C. back again with another set of excerpts from this ongoing new work. But first, a little FAQ based on submitted questions from readers of “New Beginnings”…
- Q: Is this going to be a self-published work, or are you going with a traditional publisher?
- Last things first: there is no such thing as a “traditional” publisher. The publishing industry of today is unrecognizable for its way-back origins. Likewise, along the way, it has changed again and again in many ways, and is changing even now. The true difference is between a “professional” publisher, self-publisher, and the many steps in-between. Oh yes, there are other options, but that being said…
- Once the manuscript is complete, it will be submitted to my (and Barb’s) literary agent, who will then “shop” it around to see what offers are made. After that, who knows, but certainly direct self-publishing is an option. We have done such before (see “Tales” at NobleDead.org), and we are involved in consulting within this field for clients (see N.D. Author Services – site currently being upgraded.)
- Q: Is this a sequel to the Noble Dead Saga or a spin-off?
- No to the first; not really to the second. It does focus on a few minor characters first (and last) encountered in Thief of Lives (Series 1, Book 2), but this book centers very much around their own lives and adventures, which that have nothing to do with the saga's plot(s). It also has quite a cast never before seen in our previous novels.
- Q: Are we gonna get all the way to the end, or at least to what happens with the hand?
- No to the first; hmmm… maybe partly to the second. Sharing these rough excerpts is fun and certainly keeps me motivated. Very soon, Barb and I will settle in to writing the first book in our next collaborative project: Dead Seekers. When that starts, it will at least be a pause point for this solo project. I will re-evaluated my approach to this work at that time and afterward. Now onto what you came for…
J.C. back again, now that we have returned to our regularly scheduled content. Tomorrow morning, Shade (our rescued stray kitty) will be on her way to her newly found home in California. For those who need to catch up, do a search for “New Beginnings” here at NobleDead.org to find previous installments in this series. Once again, grab your favored beverage and let’s get to it…
First, we are very grateful to all who donated to Shade’s medical treatment and other needs and/or contributed references for new homes. She is already up and about a bit more, and even wants to “play” more often. That being said, fate played a roll once again, just as it did in sending her to the back door of our new address.
A long-time friend of ours came into town for another friend’s wedding. Before leaving home, she saw the notices about Shade, came by for dinner, and that was that.
Elyn Selu will take Shade home by plane this coming weekend. Additional funds were donated to purchase a Delta Airways certified, padded and ventilated, carrying case for Shade to ride with Elyn. Funds were also gathered to pay for an animal companion to ride with the owner. Neither Elyn nor us would ever let a family member ride in a cargo hold!
We are sad to see Shade go, for we have become (too) attached to her. We are overjoyed that she will have a new home and life with someone who shares our high values for four-footer family members. All of our blessings go with both of them! We hope that you wish them well, as well. Elyn is a saint in our books… or will be!